Fraser Valley Academy of Dance, located in beautiful British Columbia, Canada, requires a classical ballet teacher (part time or full time) with professional ballet company experience to join our growing Academy of 300 students training in a dedicated, supportive and motivated environment.
• Teaching ballet technique at all levels to Advanced.
• Teaching pointe work for all levels from pre-pointe to Advanced.
• Preparing students for exams following a syllabus when required
• Choreographing for festivals, annual performances and community events.
• Assisting the Artistic Director with rehearsals
• Observing and implementing all school policies and regulations
• Minimum 5 years of teaching experience in classical ballet
• Minimum 5 years of professional dance experience in reputable classical ballet companies
• Knowledge of classical repertoire, dance history, and contemporary repertoire
• Ballet training at a renowned classical ballet institute
• Teacher training at an internationally recognized ballet institute, or a minimum of 10 years of professional dance experience
• Excellent class management skills
• Strong choreographic abilities
• High level of integrity, honesty and dependability
Personal qualities: Committed, reliable and keen to develop and encourage all abilities.
Benefits: Medical Insurance; Extended Health Plan; AD&D; For foreign applicants: Work Permit Fees and flights included.
Competencies: Excellent references are required. A driver's license is necessary. For foreign applicants, the ability to qualify for an entry visa into Canada is required. Fraser Valley Academy of Dance will assist the successful applicant in obtaining the necessary permissions.
About FVAD: With three studios holding morning, evening and weekend classes, daily pre-professional academy classes, an annual Nutcracker, community performances and a dance-wear shop, there is always plenty of activity at the Academy. The Academy's historic building has the classical charm of 1900's Canada with its original hard-wood features, wide wooden staircase and 14 foot ceilings. Vancouver and ferries to the Islands are only 70km away, winter ski hills and summer lakes can be found all around, while cross-border shopping in the US is only 15 minutes away.
Artistic Director Mr. John C. Carney has five decades in the dance world include over 15 years dancing professionally, touring the world with London Festival Ballet (now English National Ballet), Rambert Dance Company, and others. An RAD York Scholar, he trained full-time at the Royal Ballet School, where he later returned as teacher and choreographer. His choreography has been performed by schools and companies throughout Europe and North America. As Artistic Director of New Haven Ballet, USA, he directed a school of 450 students before moving to Canada. Visit www.fvad.ca for more information about the Academy.