- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories or materials onto machines.
- Select the appropriate tools, machines and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Machine parts to specifications, using machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shapers or grinders.
- Set up, adjust and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools to perform precision machining operations.
- Measure, examine or test completed units to check for defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments.
- Set controls to regulate machining or enter commands to retrieve, input or edit computerized machine control media.
- Position and fasten work pieces.
- Maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures.
- Observe and listen to operating machines or equipment to diagnose machine malfunctions and to determine need for adjustments or repairs.
- Check work pieces to ensure that they are properly lubricated or cooled.
- Lay out, measure and mark metal stock to display placement of cuts.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings and engineering information to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products and determine product dimensions and tolerances.
- Program computers or electronic instruments such as numerically controlled machine tools.
- Completion of Secondary School.
- 2-4 years of experience in the relevant field.