Reporting directly to the SVP of Women's, the Category Design Director is responsible for leading and inspiring the lululemon's key category product design efforts so as to provide original concepts and relevant designs across the category. The Category Design Director will work very closely with the VP of vision and the other Category Design directors to lay the strategic and creative foundation for the company's seasonal and core products. They will identify key industry trends and opportunities, and determine the best way for their team to address business strategies and creative opportunities. This role's key responsibilty is the overall success of the Design department and the overall success of their category as well as the goals and objectives for the lululemon product vision. This role will assume a leadership role in representing the Company's Design department. Key responsibilities include managing technology trends and innovation of new products, competitive analysis, and overall brand management, creation & adherence to the departmental budget as well as supervising, coaching & developing all team members. As well this role will work closely with other department directors such as production, commercialization, merch management, training & marketing. This position will require travel up to 30% of the time.
• Vision -- identifying future silhouette, colour & innovation direction
• Creating 2-5 years ahead leading edge fabrics & trims that are quality tested and approved
• Travel & tradeshows -- including on site commercialization as needed
• Management of on-time implementation of silhouettes, fits & functions (style checklist)
• Responsible for the direction and vision their category to ensure alignment and purpose across the whole brand. Ulitamtely supporting the overall product vision.
• Work with the designers in the category and Product Team members to ensure feasibility of designs that meet price points, merchandising needs and product creation timelines.
• Responsible for the creation and management of Design standards, schedules, calendars and output in an effort to achieve maximum efficiency and great product.
• Effectively create and communicate design concepts and presentations seasonally.
• Maintain knowledge of current trends, color, technology, and sports related products through travel, research, and product usage.
• Responsible for staying abreast of the latest technologies in fabric, construction, trims, manufacturing, sewing, etc. Responsible for ensuring this information is disseminated and utilized in relevant design concepts.
• Effectively build and manage the design budget for that category.
• Plan and facilitate design off-sites or other design related extra curricular activities that inspire and motivate team members.
• Participation in testing of products and fabrics in the field.
• Bachelor Degree
• 5- 7 years minimum relevant experience in design & leading teams
• Demonstrated leadership experience with the ability to mentor others and lead design creation.
• Strong track record of success in design or design management.
• Strong technical fabric & garment construction knowledge & experience
• Thorough understanding of and proven experience in fabric development and sourcing required.
• Strong computer skills including MS Office (Word/Excel)
• Strong communication skills including verbal & written
• Strong athltic background -- knowledge & involvement in Yoga and other fitness, health or sp