Looking for an experienced senior kitchen porter/ preservation cook assistant/ kitchen assistant. Must have 2 years experience. Pay is $11-14/hour depending on ability. Full time hours includes: 2 double shifts (morning and night) a week and 2 singles(nights).
Looking for a conscientious, friendly and social individual to work in an open kitchen. Must be able to keep up with a fast paced and extremely experience kitchen team in a busy high-end restaurant.
Must have the following skills:
Must be highly competent in all areas of day to day restaurant and kitchen maintenance and training of new staff:
• Operation of dishwashing machine: usage, maintenance, monitoring of chemical levels, adjustment of temperatures and cycles.
• Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of industrial kitchen equipment; Hobart mixer, paco jet, vita mixer, thermomixer, alto sham oven, polyscience circulators
• Must be able to wash for 250-300 covers a night all alone, in a fine dining environment
• Monitor fridge temperatures throughout the restaurant and knowledge on how to make adjustments if necessary.
• Ability to train new staff in the prior mentioned aspects of kitchen upkeep
• Responsible for cleanliness throughout the restaurant and the immediate areas outside of the restaurant (which includes the upkeep to 2 dumpsters kept in a city lane in the downtown east side of Vancouver)
• Understanding of receiving, storage and rotation of products being delivered to the restaurant
Must have an innate understanding of old world pickling and fermentation techniques.
• Knowledge of eastern European practices of fermentation and pickling
• Knowledge of pH levels pertaining to preservation of vegetables and meats
• Experienced in the procedure of sterilizing and hermetically sealing cans and jars of food. Also knowledge of the preparation of food leading up to and during the process of preservation.
• Knowledge of dry curing and brining of meats and fish.
• Knowledge of smoking of meats and fish
Kitchen assistant skills and responsibilities
• Basic knifes skills
• Knowledge of how to clean and store all vegetables from the local region
• Must have good stamina (required to work 12-14hrs twice a week, and 8-10 hours 3 times a week)
• Must be able to lift 100pounds.