Technical Training Stream
This stream supports employers to train current or new employees in technical skills in response to automation and other technological advancements.
Please refer to the Technical Training Stream Eligibility Criteria
for a complete list of eligibility requirements for this stream.
Under the Technical Training Stream, employers may receive 80 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant per fiscal year. The employer is required to contribute the remaining 20 percent.
Employers are eligible to receive up to $300,000 per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31). All costs are to be paid for in full by the employer. Before reimbursements are made, receipts will be used to verify that participants do not pay for training or any training-related expenses.
To be eligible under the Technical Training Stream, at the time of application participants must be unemployed, or employed by the applicant.
Employers will need to ensure participants complete and submit an electronic Participant Information Form (PIF). Participants will be required to disclose their employment status and to identify their job title before and after training.
Technical training is defined as:
- training to develop new skills required to operate machinery, equipment or use software, an application or program. This includes computer programming, or
- training needed for the successful adoption of new technological systems, including new manufacturing, production and construction methods.
Training cannot be longer than 52 weeks in length. The ETG is not a bursary program and does not fund full diploma or degree programs. Individual post-secondary courses are eligible, but each course should be relevant to the immediate needs of the business and the available job for the employee, and each course must be applied for in a separate application.
The immediate result of the training must be improved job-related skills leading to a job for an unemployed person, or a better job for a current employee. A “better job” is defined as:
- Increased pay
- Promotion or advancement to another position
- Move from part-time to full-time employment
- Move from temporary/casual/seasonal employment to permanent employment
- Increased job security (i.e. training will ensure the participant can maintain employment)
Please review the Technical Training Stream Eligibility Criteria
for more details before applying. Once submitted, applications cannot be moved from one stream to another.
||TRAINING START DAYS
|No longer accepting applications
||Nov 2, 2020
||Jan 1 –
March 31, 2021
||Feb 3, 2021
||April 1 –
Aug 31, 2021
||June 1, 2021
||Sep 1 –
Dec 31, 2021