Technical Training Stream
This stream supports employers to train current or new employees in technical skills in response to automation and technological advancements, such as new software, technology or machinery; or training needed for the successful adoption of new technological systems, including new manufacturing, production and construction methods.
Please refer to the Eligibility Criteria
for a complete list of eligibility requirements.
||TRAINING START DAYS
|No longer accepting applications as of March 31, 2020
||Nov 4, 2019
||Jan 1 –
March 31, 2020
||Feb 3, 2020
||April 1 –
Aug 31, 2020
||June 1, 2020
||Sep 1 –
Dec 31, 2020
||Oct 1, 2020
||Jan 1 –
March 31, 2021
Under this stream, employers may receive 80 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant. The employer is required to contribute the remaining 20 percent. The immediate result of the training must be improved job-related skills leading to a job for an unemployed person, or a better job* for a current employee.
Employers are eligible to receive up to $300,000 per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31). Participants are not to pay for training or any training-related expenses. All costs are to be paid for in full by the employer. Receipts must verify this information.
- Training to operate a piece of machinery or equipment
- Training to use a particular software application or program
- Training needed for the successful adoption of new technological systems including new manufacturing, production or construction methods
Applications submitted to the wrong stream will be denied. Once submitted, applications cannot be moved from one stream to another. Please review the resource document Choosing the Right Stream
- Employers contribute to skills training of their current or new employees
- Participants have the needed skills to respond to technological changes in the workplace
- Participant has a job (where participant was unemployed prior to training) or better job* at the end of training
*A “better job” is defined as:
- Increased job security (i.e. training will ensure the participant can maintain employment)
- Increased pay
- Promotion or advancement to another position
- Move from part-time to full-time employment
- Move from temporary/casual/seasonal employment to permanent employment