What is the B.C. Employer Training Grant program?

The B.C. Employer Training Grant program (ETG) supports skills training to address provincial labour market needs. The program is delivered by the Province of British Columbia and is funded by the Government of Canada through the Workforce Development Agreement (WDA).

The Province is striving to build a strong, sustainable, innovative economy with a focus on reducing poverty and inequality. We are working to create good-paying jobs for British Columbians while ensuring people from every background can reach their full potential. 

Jobs continue to change and evolve. For example, some will become more complicated because of innovation and changes in technology. Many workers across the province will likely be affected by automation in some way. Some jobs will involve tasks that are not yet invented. 

As a result, it will be key for those in the labour force to adapt to changing job requirements and to learn new skills and competencies. Employers need to play a critical role in providing opportunities for people to do this.

The goal of the ETG is to help British Columbians access the skills training needed to adapt to the changing requirements of jobs and the labour market while encouraging employer involvement in the training of their employees. 

How it Works:

  • Reimbursement amounts vary between 60% and 100% depending on the training stream.
  • Training must result in a better job once training is completed.
  • Employers must submit their application on their own behalf, using their Business BCeID. Third parties cannot apply on an employer’s behalf.
  • If approved, employers are to pay for all costs in full and, after training has started, submit a reimbursement claim.
  • Participants are not to pay for training or any training-related expenses. Receipts must verify this information.
  • Employers are eligible to receive up to $300,000 per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31).
  • Learn more about each stream using the links below.

Priority Applications

Priority is given to first-time applicants, small businesses, applicants from disadvantaged regions and applicants from industries facing the greatest challenges acquiring skilled workers. Learn more about B.C.'s labour market and industries.

Stream 1: C19 Impacted Worker Training Stream

This stream supports British Columbians that are employed or have been employed in a sector where job opportunities have been most impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Impacted sectors include: 
  • Utilities
  • Construction
  • Wholesale and retail trade
  • Transportation and warehousing
  • Information and cultural industries
  • Finance, insurance, real estate, rental and leasing
  • Management of companies and enterprises
  • Accommodation and food services
  • Other services (except public administration)
  • Agriculture

For a description of each of these 10 sectors, please review the C19 Impacted Worker Training stream Eligibility Criteria.

At the time of application, participants must be one of the following: 
  • Unemployed but will be employed by the applicant upon completion of training
  • Employed by the applicant and requiring new skills necessary for the employer’s business to survive, recover and/or grow
  • Employed by another employer in an impacted sector but working reduced hours due to COVID-19 and will be employed full-time by the applicant upon completion of training 
Employers may receive 100 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant, to train British Columbians impacted by the pandemic, and employers must have a job for the participant at their company once training is completed.

Important: Private training supported through this stream must be delivered by an institution designated (and program approved) by the Private Training Institutions Branch.

Learn more about the C19 Impacted Worker Training Stream before applying.

Stream 2: Workforce Training Stream

This stream supports any training that aligns with an employer’s business needs and the needs of the participant’s job.

At the time of application, participants must be unemployed or employed by the applicant employer, and employers must have a job for the participant at their company once training is completed.

Applications approved under this stream will receive 60 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $5,000 per participant. The employer is required to contribute the remaining 40 percent.

Learn more about the Workforce Training Stream before applying.

Stream 3: Technical Training Stream

This stream supports employers to train current or new employees in technical skills in response to automation and other technological advancements. Technical training is defined as:
  • training to develop new skills required to operate machinery, equipment or use software, an application or program. This includes computer programming, or
  • training needed for the successful adoption of new technological systems, including new manufacturing, production and construction methods.
At the time of application, participants must be unemployed or employed by the applicant employer, and employers must have a job for the participant at their company once training is completed.

Applications approved under this stream may receive 80 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant. The employer is required to contribute the remaining 20 percent. 

Learn more about the Technical Training Stream before applying.

Stream 4: Foundational Training Stream

This stream supports unemployed and low-skilled British Columbians to gain the essential, transferable and certified skills to increase their job security and obtain good-paying jobs. Essential skills training, ITA-certified apprenticeship training, occupational certification (e.g., Early Childhood Education certificate, Residential Care Worker certificate, etc.), and industry-recognized training are eligible. 

At the time of application participants must be unemployed, or employed by the applicant and one of the following: 
  • Low-skilled
  • Working in a low-skilled occupation
  • Working as an apprentice
Employers approved under this stream may receive 100 percent of eligible training costs, up to a maximum of $10,000 per participant.

Learn more about the Foundational Training Stream before applying.

Stream 5: Persons with Disabilities Training Stream

This stream supports training for British Columbians that are designated Persons with Disabilities (PWDs). Learn more about PWD designation from the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction.
 
At the time of application, participants must be unemployed or employed by the applicant employer, and employers must have a job for the participant at their company once training is completed.

Employers may receive 100 percent of eligible training costs, financial supports and training allowances for participants while in training, up to a maximum of $20,000 per participant.

Learn more about the Persons with Disabilities Training Stream before applying.