Workforce Training Stream

The Employer Training Grant (ETG) has reached subscription targets for intake 3 for all streams and is no longer accepting applications. 

This stream supports employers to upgrade their employees’ skills and develop their workforce.  

This stream is designed to support any training that aligns with an employer’s business needs. For example: advanced occupational training, leadership, management and soft skills training fall under this category.

Please refer to the Eligibility Criteria for a complete list of eligibility requirements. 

Applicants must submit their applications through the correct stream. Applications received under a stream that they are not eligible for will be denied. Please review the resource document Choosing the Right Stream? before applying to ensure you choose the correct stream for your application.    

Current status:

The Workforce Training Stream has reached its subscription target for intake 3. Please be advised that applications will no longer be accepted under this stream after 1:30 pm on October 1, 2018.

 INTAKES STATUS ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS TRAINING START DATES
INTAKE 1 No longer accepting applications as of  April 16, 2018 April 9, 2018* April 4 - August 31, 2018
INTAKE 2 No longer accepting applications as of 11 am on June 4, 2018 June 4, 2018* September 1 - December 31, 2018
INTAKE 3 No longer accepting applications as of 1:30 pm on October 1, 2018 October 1, 2018, 9 am* January 1 - March 31, 2019
*Once subscription targets have been met for the intake period the stream will close. All applications will be assessed on a first come, first served basis and will be dependent on funding availability.    

Funding amounts:

Approved applications for training under this stream will receive reimbursement of 60 percent of the eligible training costs up to a maximum of $5,000 per participant. The employer is required to contribute the remaining 40 percent. 

The maximum an employer can receive per fiscal year (April 1st to March 31st) is $300,000 in total government funding.

Participants are NOT to pay for training or any training related expenses. All costs are to be paid for in FULL by the applicant. Receipts must verify this information.

Training supported under this stream includes but is not limited to:
  • Management Skills Training: Defined as developing skills in strategic planning, leading and motivating, allocating and controlling resources, evaluating, co-ordinating and organizing, recruiting and hiring, supervising and leadership
  • Business Skills Training: Defined as training to develop skills to increase sales, marketing, social media marketing and communication, streamline processes and organizational structures and change management  
  • Soft Skills: Defined as personal management skills required by the current labour market. Soft skills are personal skills and characteristics required by employers across different sectors and at different stages of an employee’s career
Expected outcomes of training: 
  • Employers report increased workplace productivity   
  • Employers contribute to skills training of their current or new employees
  • Participant has a job (where participant was unemployed prior to training) or better job* at the end of the training
*For the purpose of the ETG, “better job” is defined as:
  • Increased job security (i.e. training will ensure the participant can maintain employment)
  • Increase in pay
  • Promotion/advancement to another position
  • Move from part-time to full-time employment or
  • Move from temporary/casual/seasonal employment to permanent employment
  • Increased productivity