Personal Services & Supports

Personal services and supports are available to job seekers who need more than self-directed job search tools and workshops. The staff at the WorkBC Employment Services Centres will work with you to find out how they can help you.  

Apply here

These services may be delivered at your local WorkBC Employment Service Centre or, another location or training institution.

Personal services and supports include things like:

  • group workshops or individual sessions
  • training services
  • customized job placement and work experience placement services for clients with significant barriers to employment
  • self-employment assessment services

In some cases, financial supports are available for eligible clients.

To be eligible for personal services and supports you must be unemployed and legally allowed to work in British Columbia.

You are considered unemployed if you:

  • are not working
  • are working an average of fewer than twenty (20) hours per week, AND
    • are actively seeking full-time employment
    • are unable to work full-time because of a disability, but want to work more hours
  • have received a notice that you will be laid off soon
  • must leave your current job because of a medical reason
  • are at significant risk of losing your employment because of a disability

If you are a person with a disability and need help to keep your job, your WorkBC Centre can help you. Contact them to find out how.

Full-time students are not considered unemployed.

To legally work in BC you must have a Social Insurance Number. If your Social Insurance Number begins with a “9”, contact your WorkBC Employment Services Centre to discuss eligibility.

Not all unemployed BC job seekers are eligible for personal supports and services—your WorkBC Employment Services Centre will help find out what services and supports are right for you.

How to Get Started

There are two ways to get started.

You can visit your local WorkBC Employment Service Centre in person.  Locate your local WorkBC Employment Services centre.

OR, to find out if your local WorkBC Employment Services Centre receives online requests for service, continue on to access Personal Services and Supports online.

Apply here