Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Start Date: As soon as possible
Minimum Education: Diploma
Positions Available: 2
NOC Group: Securities Agents, Investment Dealers and Brokers (1113)
NOC Job Title: Commodity Trader
Expires in 27 days
Last Updated: 2020-10-21
Job Number: 641162
221 West Esplanade 402
North Vancouver, British Columbia
V7M 3J3, Canada
Olympic Industries is currently searching for a highly motivated and passionate Commodity Trader to join our growth-oriented team and contribute to the company's success through buying and selling forest products in the Physical/Cash and Futures market - while providing market intelligence to customers and producers, managing risk and margin, and engaging in business development.
Reporting to the President, the Commodity Trader will work both in individual and team capacity to build sustainable businesses for extracting margin from arbitrage opportunities.
- Negotiating prices and sales with producers and consumers.
- Networking, cold-calling, and qualifying prospects.
- Drive, develop, and support trading activities.
- Continuously generating new trading ideas by identifying arbitrage opportunities.
- Keeping a constant up-to-date knowledge of the markets to ensure continuous real-time price discovery.
- Managing trading positions autonomously while balancing risk and financing.
- Communicating and collaborating with the support team to ensure smooth transactions.
- Mentoring and supporting the growth of new Trader Trainees.
Training for Trader Trainees
Successful candidates will actively participate in an 8-12 months intensified training program to develop an in-depth understanding of the lumber trading industry while:
- Working with the logistics team to manage lumber distribution through growing the transportation network and negotiating freight.
- Communicating and collaborating with Olympic Industries Traders to resolve challenges in the distribution of forest products.
- Networking with Olympic Industries Traders to learn about the company's business model.
- Monitoring and analyzing market trends within the forest product trading industry.
- Developing and presenting a personal business plan before transitioning to the trading floor.
Education and Experience
- Previous experience in a meritocratic role where there is a requirement to influence other’s decisions and actions. For example: sales and account management.
- Degree or Diploma in a related program such as Business or equivalent experience considered an asset.
- Experience in competitive sports or other highly competitive roles is considered an asset.
- Background in forestry or lumber is considered an asset.
- High-energy with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to go above and beyond in a professional environment.
- A high degree of integrity and honesty.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate and interact with all levels of an organization.
- Excellent analytical and mathematical skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to complete work in a timely manner with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to act with good judgement and discretion, keeping sensitive business data secure.
Why Join Us?
- Unlimited earning potential with a highly competitive compensation model.
- Work hard, play hard company culture.
- Employee stock ownership plan.
- On-site gym and showers.
- On-site kitchen.
- Extended health benefits.
- Life insurance.
- Long-term disability insurance.
- Employee assistance and scholarship programs.
- Easy access to the mountains and oceans.
For more information on Olympic Industries, please visit our website at www.olympicind.com. To apply, please submit a resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply