Salary: $26.00 - $35.00/Hourly
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Start Date: As soon as possible
Minimum Education: Diploma
Positions Available: 2
NOC Group: Veterinary and Animal Health Technologists and Technicians (3213)
NOC Job Title: Technician, Veterinary
Expires in 55 days
Last Updated: 2021-02-08
Job Number: 656081
1988 Kootenay Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
V5M 4Y3, Canada
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must develop a thorough understanding of all common drugs/medications used, procedures and protocols within the Wards and ICU, as well as the ability to use all equipment safely and effectively
- Directly monitor, carry out treatments and procedures, ensure patient comfort and document care for patients so that accurate medical records are maintained and accurate invoicing can be done
- In addition to written records, ensures that pertinent information and observations relating to patient care is provided to the next shift during oral rounds.
- Carry out communication with; primary Doctor, Hospitalist regarding patient status updates, and alert of any changes or concerns. And Participate in communication with Clients.
- Calculates, dispenses and administers medications at the direction of the Specialist on the case.
- Perform technical nursing skills such as: IV catheter placement, blood collection, urine collection (cystocentesis, catheterization), taking radiographs, etc.
- Ensures supply inventory is sufficient to meet the demands of work area, and that that the work area is kept clean and organized.
- Ensures that all equipment is properly maintained documented and any concerns are reported.
- Responsible for coordinating breaks and delegating appropriate tasks to Patient Care Assistants on shift.
- Facilitate a positive work environment.
- Actively participates in all offered in house CE
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Has a strong knowledge and understanding of normal vital parameters, and the ability to recognize changes and or abnormalities.
- A strong knowledge of asepsis
- Strong mathematics skills (drug dose calculations, CRI’s, dilutions)
- A strong desire to learn and to excel within the profession
- Ability to stay calm to recognize and establish priorities and execute patient triage at all times.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with little or no supervision when necessary and ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills, computer and phone skills
- High level of professionalism
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of an accredited program for Veterinary Technologists
- Registered Veterinary Technology designation preferred
- Demonstrated skills, experience and training that would qualify the individual for a position of responsibility
- Completed AHT Program
- Sedation and/or General Anesthesia experience preferred
How to Apply
Contact: Ellie Baergen, Human Resources Manager
Fax: 604 473 4898