Collections Assistant (Young Canada Works Position)
Job Type: Full Time, Student
Start Date: 2021-06-02
Minimum Education: High School
Positions Available: 1
NOC Group: Technical Occupations Related to Museums and Art Galleries (5212)
NOC Job Title: Museum Cataloguer
Expires in 20 days
Last Updated: 2021-03-31
Job Number: 665160
719 Track Street West
PO Box 3018
Revelstoke, British Columbia
V0E 2S0, Canada
The Revelstoke Railway Museum is hiring a Collections Summer Student for the summer of 2021 to assist the Curator with the cataloguing, inventorying and storing of the museum’s artifact collection.
This is a Young Canada Works (YCW) position and candidates must be enrolled in the YCW program. This position is subject to funding approval.
The Collections Assistant will work alongside the Curator to catalogue and care for the Museum’s objects collection. Tasks include:
- Creating records for new donations
- Updating existing object records to bring records up to current museum standards
- Properly storing museum objects
- Assigning storage locations using the digital database
- Conducting inventory of artifacts
- Other tasks as needed may include: Research related to events, people, places, etc. as related to objects and/or donors; Writing social media posts about specific artifacts; Visitor Services and Museum Store coverage as needed
The ideal candidate is a post-secondary student returning to their studies in September, with an interest in museums and/or history. Areas of study may include: history, museum studies, and/or anthropology.
- Strong computer skills, ideally with proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite; experience with the PastPerfect collections management system is an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Positive attitude, maturity and flexibility.
All candidates must prove eligibility under the YCW program criteria prior to the interview process.
The Revelstoke Railway Museum is an equal-opportunity employer. Students from the Government of Canada's job equity groups are encouraged to apply and will be given due consideration.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to Laura VanZant at email@example.com with the subject line “Collections Summer Student Application” by May 1st, 2021
This is an excellent opportunity to build marketable skills in a region known for its quality of life and recreational opportunities. Revelstoke is a welcoming community with a population of about 7,500 along the Columbia River in the beautiful setting of the Selkirk and Monashee Mountains. Revelstoke is an important tourism destination for culture, heritage and summer and winter recreation. The city has three public museums and an art gallery, and boasts world-class mountain biking, hiking and climbing, Nordic and downhill skiing, heli-skiing, and snowmobiling. Revelstoke also has two National Parks just outside of the city limits: Mount Revelstoke National Park and Glacier National Park, as well as several hot springs within short driving distance. For more information about Revelstoke, visit seerevelstoke.com
How to Apply
Contact: Curator Laura VanZant