Archival Assistant (Young Canada Works Position)
Job Type: Full Time, Student
Start Date: 2021-06-02
Minimum Education: High School
Positions Available: 1
NOC Group: Library and Archive Technicians and Assistants (5211)
NOC Job Title: Archival Assistant
Expires in 20 days
Last Updated: 2021-03-31
Job Number: 665168
719 Track Street West
PO Box 3018
Revelstoke, British Columbia
V0E 2S0, Canada
The Revelstoke Railway Museum is hiring an Archives Summer Student for the summer of 2021 to assist the Curator with digitizing, organizing and inventorying the Museum’s extensive photo collection.
This is a Young Canada Works (YCW) position and candidates must be enrolled in the YCW program. This position is subject to funding approval.
The Archival Assistant will work alongside the Curator to catalogue and care for the Museum’s photograph collection. Tasks include:
- Correcting existing digital records to bring them up to archival standards (description, search terms, scanning)
- Converting hard-copy records into digital records, also adhering to archival standards
·- Creating low resolution scans of each photo for the digital database
·- Storing and organizing photos after digital records have been created
- Assigning box numbers and storage locations to photos using the digital database
- Other tasks as needed may include: Research related to events, people, places, etc. depicted in photos; Creating high-quality scans as requested for use in exhibits or online content; Writing social media posts for specific images; Providing Visitor Services and Museum Store coverage as needed
The ideal candidate is a post-secondary student returning to their studies in September, with an interest in museums, history, and/or visual historic media. Areas of study may include history, museum studies, anthropology, and/or visual arts.
- Strong computer skills, ideally with proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite; experience with the PastPerfect collections management system is an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Positive attitude, maturity and flexibility.
All candidates must prove eligibility under the YCW program criteria prior to the interview process.
The Revelstoke Railway Museum is an equal-opportunity employer. Students from the Government of Canada's job equity groups are encouraged to apply and will be given due consideration.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to Laura VanZant at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Archival Summer Student Application” by May 1st, 2021
This is an excellent opportunity to build marketable skills in a region known for its quality of life and recreational opportunities. Revelstoke is a welcoming community with a population of about 7,500 along the Columbia River in the beautiful setting of the Selkirk and Monashee Mountains. Revelstoke is an important tourism destination for culture, heritage and summer and winter recreation. The city has three public museums and an art gallery, and boasts world-class mountain biking, hiking and climbing, Nordic and downhill skiing, heli-skiing, and snowmobiling. Revelstoke also has two National Parks just outside of the city limits: Mount Revelstoke National Park and Glacier National Park, as well as several hot springs within short driving distance. For more information about Revelstoke, visit seerevelstoke.com
How to Apply
Contact: Curator Laura VanZant