Museum Assistant Summer Student (Canada Summer Jobs Position)
Job Type: Full Time, Student
Start Date: 2021-06-01
Minimum Education: High School
Positions Available: 2
NOC Group: Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks (6421)
NOC Job Title: Salesperson - Retail
Expires in 20 days
Last Updated: 2021-03-31
Job Number: 665183
719 Track Street West
PO Box 3018
Revelstoke, British Columbia
V0E 2S0, Canada
The Revelstoke Railway Museum is hiring two Museum Assistant Summer Students to assist with the museum's visitor services, museum store, museum operations and administration, and special events during our busy summer season.
Candidates must be eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program. This position is subject to funding approval.
The Museum Assistant Summer Students will be an integral part of the museum's summer operations:
- Greeting visitors, handling museum admission and orientation, processing retail sales and ensuring the Museum Store is orderly and well-stocked.
- Collaborating with the Museum's entire team in helping ensure our COVID protocols are maintained to maximize visitor and staff safety.
- Leading small group tours, if permitted by Provincial Health Officer
- Supporting the Executive Director in handling enquiries and communications
- Depending on skills and experience, the students may be involved in monitoring and maintaining the museum's social media presence, including development and production of short virtual tours.
- For special events, if permitted by the Public Health Officer, working with the Executive Director, in the planning, preparation, set-up and delivery of Museum events, such as our annual Railway Day in August.
- Other job-related duties providing support and assistance to the Executive Director, staff, volunteers and Trustees
- The ideal candidate is a post-secondary student returning to their studies in September, with an interest in museums, history, education, tourism, marketing or communications.
- Strong computer skills, ideally with proficiency in Microsoft Office. Experience in operating the Shopify point-of-sale system is an asset.
- Excellent customer service skills; previous retail experience is an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated initiative
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Able and willing to work weekends and statutory holidays
- Positive attitude, maturity and flexibility.
Please note: All candidates must prove eligibility under the Canada Summer Jobs program criteria prior to the interview process. Please see the Canada Summer Jobs website for specific eligibility criteria; no exceptions are permitted.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to the Manager of Retail at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Canada Summer Jobs Museum Assistant Application” by May 1st, 2021
This is an excellent opportunity to build marketable skills in a region known for its quality of life and recreational opportunities. Revelstoke is a welcoming community with a population of about 7,500 along the Columbia River in the beautiful setting of the Selkirk and Monashee Mountains. Revelstoke is an important tourism destination for culture, heritage and summer and winter recreation. The city has three public museums and an art gallery, and boasts world-class mountain biking, hiking and climbing, Nordic and downhill skiing, heli-skiing, and snowmobiling. Revelstoke also has two National Parks just outside of the city limits: Mount Revelstoke National Park and Glacier National Park, as well as several hot springs within short driving distance. For more information about Revelstoke, visit seerevelstoke.com
How to Apply
Contact: Retail and Visitor Services Manager Jessica Byman