Job Type: Full Time, Temporary
Start Date: As soon as possible
Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree
Positions Available: 1
NOC Group: Lawyers and Quebec Notaries (4112)
NOC Job Title: Corporate Counsel
Expires in 4 days
Last Updated: 2021-04-20
Job Number: 668489
6951 Westminster Hwy
Richmond, British Columbia
V7C 1C6, Canada
We're looking for a corporate commercial lawyer to join our in-house Corporate/Commercial legal services team on a temporary basis to provide strategic advice and legal solutions to a variety of internal clients. As a member of our team, you'll provide high quality, confidential, timely, and cost effective legal advice on corporate/commercial, procurement, privacy, and other matters. As a confidential advisor to management, you'll be responsible for protecting WorkSafeBC and the Board of Directors from legal risk and you'll provide legal advice to support the effective delivery of WorkSafeBC services and programs.
Consider joining this strong, committed team who value hard work but prioritize a healthy lifestyle with a strong focus on work life balance. Our team's values reflect those of the organization, whose mandate is to improve health and safety of workplaces across the province.
This position is approximately 12 months in length.
As a corporate counsel, you will be involved in a wide variety of in-house corporate/commercial legal matters. Your responsibilities will include:
· Providing strategic advice to internal business groups in the development of new initiatives, including identifying legal issues and risks
· Providing confidential advice to support governance activities
· Identifying and assessing actual and potential legal risks to WorkSafeBC, including liaising with management to ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and options for mitigating risk
· Advising internal clients on all phases of the procurement process, including providing strategic legal advice on compliance with procurement law, drafting and advising contract requirements, and contract/vendor management
· Negotiating agreements on behalf of WorkSafeBC with external parties and their legal counsel, and advise on and participate in stakeholder engagement planning and activities related to service providers
We're looking for someone who can:
· Bring a client-focused, service-oriented approach to providing services to internal clients
· Provide effective leadership, motivation, and direction by translating strategic plans into clear actionable goals
· Demonstrates exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate complex policy
Your experience and educational background:
· A law degree and member in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia
· A minimum of four years of recent, related experience as a practicing lawyer with in-depth knowledge of corporate commercial law ideally with a focus on construction law and/or real estate.
WorkSafeBC is currently operating in a primarily virtual/remote environment. The successful candidate must be able to work from home, with the possibility of some in-office work at WorkSafeBC's Richmond office location following the COVID-19 pandemic.
How to Apply