Senior Generalist Artist
Salary: $80,600.00 - $127,900.00/Annually
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Start Date: As soon as possible
Minimum Education: None
Positions Available: 1
NOC Group: Graphic Designers and Illustrators (5241)
NOC Job Title: 3D Animation Artist
Expires in 71 days
Last Updated: 2021-09-08
Job Number: 694760
21 Water Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6B 1A1, Canada
Senior Generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork.
The Senior Generalist develops solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction. Participates in team reviews of work under development. Able to create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult. Can work confidently enough to be able to decide where to allocate detail based on the shot and can interpret feedback to respond to review notes with little supervisor direction. Texture skills would match this competence level, i.e. able to create maps in 2D and set up basic shaders for look development. Good understanding of the physics of light, how this interacts with the camera and how to create basic lighting setups in complex shaders (like hard surface type materials) that look convincing and render efficiently. Can respond to feedback to dial in the look of the element before handing to final comp. Has a good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc. Can work with the sequence lead to test out tools and techniques before rolling out to shot artists. Can handle reasonably complex hard body and soft body sims and light/render them for comp.
• Create original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment
• Create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback
• Creates high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of senior level artists and Generalist Supervisors, dials in the look of the element before handing to final comp
• Participates in team reviews of work under development
• Mentors Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
• Meets defined milestones within a timeline by attending dailies and participating in creative problem solving
• Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development
• Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently
• Sources suitable reference materials for required assets
• Special projects as needed
Reports to the Talent Manager, Generalist and receives daily oversight and direction from the CG or Generalist Supervisor.
• At least five years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least seven years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Please see attachment for Required Skills and Competencies and Technical Skills.
Salary & Benefits
$80,600 - $127,900 annual salary; plus benefits package – 4% gross earnings paid in lieu of vacation, extended health & dental insurance, and MSP coverage. Annual performance reviews may lead to merit increases.
How to Apply