Marketing and Social Media Assistant - Student Position
October 5, 2021 – March 31, 2022
$15.20/ hour (10-16.5 hours/week)
The Marketing and Social Media Assistant will work closely with Nanaimo Museum staff to promote museum events, programs and exhibits through social media and marketing campaigns. The successful student will also help staff programming and events, and greet guests as needed. Candidates must have strong interpersonal and communication skills, and knowledge and understanding of social media engagement as a promotional and educational tool.
· Assist with the creation, scheduling, and responding to social media posts on Nanaimo Museum’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts.
· Assist with digital marketing projects (SEO tasks, Email Marketing, Digital Advertising) in support of museum operations and assets.
· Assist with creating, scheduling, and responding to marketing materials on a variety of community event and promotional sites and publications.
· Assist with marketing and advertising content.
· Assist with the facilitation of programming and events throughout the fall/winter seasons.
· Administrative duties will include interacting with the public, especially at the front desk, and assisting with community marketing.
· Support housekeeping with regular checks and cleaning in support of Communicable Disease Plan
· Other duties, as required
· Be able to use social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Familiarity with scheduling program Later an asset.
· Be able to use computer software included in the MS Office 2016 Suite (Word, Excel, etc). Familiarity with Trello, InDesign, Photoshop and Canva an asset.
· Have some knowledge of marketing and social media best practices and techniques.
· Have some photography and videography skills.
· Have strong communication skills in English – both written and oral (intermediate to fluent French as well is an asset)
· Have strong interpersonal skills – as a team member and with a variety of age levels within the general public
· Be flexible to after-hours and weekend shifts.
· Have reliable access to an internet connection should health regulations require a shift to working from home.
· Be adaptable and flexible to job requirements, self-motivated and responsible
· Be able to provide a clear Vulnerable Sector check
· Have an understanding of Nanaimo’s Indigenous and settler history.
All applicants must meet eligibility criteria set out by Young Canada Works:
· Be available for the full term of employment,
· Be a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada,
· Be a current and returning student,
· Be between the ages of 16 and 30, and
· Have no other full-time job within the employment term
Position is subject to funding approval. Applicants with an education in marketing, communications, graphic design, tourism, or history are preferred. This position is open to the Government of Canada's equity groups (i.e., women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, and new Canadians).