Trading Operations Engineer
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Start Date: As soon as possible
Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree
Positions Available: 1
NOC Group: Securities Agents, Investment Dealers and Brokers (1113)
NOC Job Title: Broker, Investments
Expires in 35 days
Last Updated: 2021-10-18
Job Number: 702489
Vancouver, British Columbia
BitMEX is the world’s leading cryptocurrency derivatives trading platform, which has pioneered cryptocurrency trading through relentless commitment to change, and continues to set benchmarks for innovation, liquidity, and security today.
As the world's most advanced peer-to-peer crypto-products trading platform and API, BitMEX gives knowledge, confidence, and precision to hundreds of thousands of traders, transacting billions of USD a day.
Purpose of the Role
The Trading Technology department sits at the core of the business and handles all brokerage and trading aspects of the platform. The team is responsible for order management, risk checking, position keeping, PNL calculations, pricing (derivatives), risk management, market data distribution, order matching, and settlement.
We operate a 24/7 business. It is essential that the Trading Platform is highly available and system downtime is minimised. The Engine Operations team is responsible for ensuring the operational reliability of the Trading Engine services.
As a Trading Operations Engineer you will be responsible for both application support of the brokerage and matching engine services and also for engineering solutions to automate release processes and disaster recovery. Automation and test driven development sit at the heart of what we do and a key theme of your role will be to eliminate manual processes and procedures, and the necessity for human intervention in order to keep the systems operational.
- First line application support on-call rota for Trading Engine services including trading gateways, brokerage, position keeping, risk management, matching and market data distribution services
- Identify and resolve issues with the production environment in a timely manner, escalating and coordinating incident response where applicable
- Identify and resolve gaps in application and system level monitoring and alerting
- Work closely with the Trading Technology development team to identify, diagnose and solve problems with the trading platform
- Perform software releases to the production environment for Trading Engine services
- Automate the deployment of Trading Technology software services, working with the DevOps team to implement the firmwide standards
- Work with the DevOps team and Site Reliability Engineers on firm-wide reliability initiatives
- Strong engineering skill set with firm grasp of fundamental Computer Science principles
- 5+ years experience at a Hedge Fund, Investment Bank, or Exchange supporting trading platforms, preferably in the pre-trade space (e.g. OMS, Algo Trading, Market Making)
- Experience working with FIX, OUCH, ITCH, or similar financial service protocols
- Experience with Site Reliability Engineering and/or DevOps is preferred
- Experience supporting and maintaining message bus technologies like Kafka, Ultra Messaging (29West), Chronicle Queue, or Aeron
- Experience diagnosing and debugging issues with Java-based services
- Experience with Grafana or similar data visualisation tools for monitoring services
- Experience building and maintaining release automation services
- Expertise in Linux operating systems, including understanding of the network layer
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities within a fast moving industry and startup culture
- Preferred: Experience with Site Reliability Engineering and/or DevOps, and Release Management
- Computer Science / Engineering / Mathematics degree preferable
How to Apply