Job Posting API
On February 9, 2022, WorkBC’s Jobs Posting feed will be retiring.
Through a partnership with the National Job Bank, employers will start posting their job openings with the National Job Bank on January 11, 2022.
After January 11, 2022, all postings available in B.C. from the National Job Bank and other employment partners will be combined on WorkBC’s job board.
If your application uses the WorkBC feed, you will want to remove it by January 11, 2022. (Note: new jobs will no longer be added as of January 11, 2022.)
The feed will continue to be accessible, with no requirement for registration in the B.C. Data Catalogue until it is retired.
Using the WorkBC API
WorkBC offers a publicly available job posting application programming interface (API). The API service provides the ability to request, filter and access live job posting data powered by the WorkBC job board.
The service, including all support documentation, is accessible in the B.C. Data Catalogue. The API is an open service with no requirement for registration.
Anyone using WorkBC’s API can request all current job posting data or filter the dataset based on a series of parameters:
- Region – filters for the selected region (Vancouver Island/Coast, Mainland/Southwest, Thompson-Okanagan, Kootenay, Cariboo, North Coast, Nechako, Northeast).
- City – filters for the selected B.C. city.
- Job type – filters for one or more job types (full-time, part-time, contract, student, casual, seasonal, temporary, permanent, co-op, apprenticeship).
- B.C. Major Project – filters to include only job postings tied to a Major Project.
- Last request date – allows consumers to call the API periodically and receive only the updated job posting data.
The API provides a subset of the job posting information available on WorkBC. However, a direct URL link for the full job posting details is included as one of the API’s response fields.
The API’s response data fields include:
- Job ID (unique I.D. of the job posting)
- WorkBC URL
- Job record type (update or delete)
- Job title
- Employer name
- Job description (abbreviated to 500 characters)
- Job location (city, region, province)
- Posted date
- Expiry date
- Job type
- B.C. major project name
Jobs posted directly on WorkBC are available in English through the API. Job postings displayed on WorkBC but obtained from other sources are not included.
You are responsible for managing all aspects of the use of the data provided through the API service, including:
- Removing expired job postings from your system after the expiry date.
- Removing job postings that are flagged as “deleted.”
The API is monitored during standard business hours Monday to Friday (8:30 AM to 4:30 PM) Pacific Standard Time (PST).
Notifications and updates about outages and changes are posted, where possible.
Send us your feedback by phone, email or online chat.