Animal care workers feed, handle, train and groom animals and assist veterinarians, animal health technologists and technicians and animal breeders. Pet groomers clip coats, bathe and otherwise groom pets.
People in this occupation:
- work with cats and dogs most often, but may also care for other animals, depending on the work environment
- work for animal hospitals and clinics, animal shelters, breeding and boarding facilities, zoos, laboratories, retail pet shops, dog training schools or pet grooming establishments
- may be self-employed
- customer service and administrative skills are assets for pet groomers and some animal care workers
- should have a love of animals
- good observation skills, interpersonal skills and an ability to exercise gentle and secure restraint are also required