Access Online WorkBC Apprentice Services

Important additional information is available about WorkBC Apprentice Services Financial Supports:

  • To apply for WorkBC Apprentice Services, you must follow specific instructions. These are detailed in our Notice to Apprentices.
  • If you are a training provider, you’ll find more information on the application process and your role and responsibilities in our Notice to Training Providers.
Apply Here

Financial Support

You may be eligible for temporary financial support during the in-school portion of your apprenticeship program. Two types of financial supports are available while attending apprentice class room training:

Part I / Employment Insurance benefits provided through Service Canada.

Part II / WorkBC Apprentice Services Financial Support managed by the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction, to assist with your expenses while you attend in-school training and may cover:

  • Living Supports to assist with basic living expenses, such as food, shelter and utilities
  • Dependent-care / childcare expenses – new cost that is a result of participating in training
  • Commuting costs for daily commuting to and from the training location
  • Travel costs for relocation to a temporary residence while in training at the beginning and end of training
  • Disability related costs - new cost that is a result of participating in training
  • Living Away from Home costs to maintain a temporary residence during training

The Industry Training Authority (ITA) offers more information about the range of financial help available to apprentices.

How to Apply for Financial Support

To determine if you’re eligible for Part I financial support, visit Service Canada - Applying for Employment Insurance.

WorkBC Apprentice Services Online

You must apply for Part II - WorkBC Apprentice Services through the Online Employment Services if any of the following applies:

  • You have an employer sponsor or an Indigenous Skills and Employment Training Program (ISET) sponsor,
  • You have a union hiring hall,
  • You are unemployed with pre-existing ITA registration and are attached to your employer sponsor, but at the time you request financial support, you do not have a specific return-to-work date to attend classroom technical training, or
  • You are unemployed and without an employer sponsor, but at the time you request financial support, you have an active ITA apprentice registration to attend classroom technical training. Please note that the ITA keeps registration active for 18 months from the date an apprentice loses his or her employer sponsor.

Related Documents