Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians support a wide variety processes in machinery and power transfer systems.
People in this occupation:
- help design, develop, test and maintain machines, components, tools, industrial robotics, heating and ventilating systems, power generation and power conversion plants, manufacturing plants and equipment
- solve design or repair problems in machinery or tools
- are employed by consulting engineering, manufacturing and processing companies, mechanical equipment companies, institutions and government departments
Good math and computer skills, as well as good interpersonal and problem solving skills help individuals to be successful in this occupation.
Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians also:
- have an interest in precision work with tools and equipment
- require manual dexterity with an attention to detail, as well as skills in organization, analysis and teamwork