Cashiers run cash registers, optical price scanners, computers or other equipment to record and accept payment for goods, services and admissions.
People in this occupation:
- give correct change, process credit or debit card transactions and validate cheques
- may be responsible for issuing refunds and managing returns
- often work with the general public, greeting, answering questions and making sure that customers receive excellent service
- are hired by organizations of all sizes, including stores, restaurants, theatres, recreational and sports establishments, currency exchange booths, government offices, business offices and other service, retail and wholesale establishments
- need strong oral communication skills, public relations skills and patience
- need to have a good understanding of transactions involving cash, coupons, debit and credit