Aircraft instrument, electrical and avionics mechanics, technicians and inspectors install, adjust, repair, overhaul and maintain complex aircraft electrical systems and electrical flight controls, such as flight data recorders, radar, communications and navigation systems.
This group also includes workers who inspect instrument, electrical and avionics systems following assembly, modification, repair or overhaul.
People in this occupation:
- provide critical safety services for the crew and passengers of the aircraft they work on, following Transport Canada regulations to maintain stringent safety standards
- are employed by regional or national airline companies, architectural or engineering companies, aircraft manufacturing, maintenance and overhaul establishments, and by other aircraft operators
- must have attention to detail, and good visualization skills and manual dexterity
- have an interest in working with the sophisticated components and systems of modern aircraft
- must have good communication skills and follow safe work practices