Janitors, caretakers and building superintendents are usually responsible for cleaning and maintaining commercial, institutional or residential buildings.
People in this occupation:
- do a wide variety of tasks, including cleaning and maintaining buildings inside and outside, fixing any minor mechanical and electrical problems and maintaining the grounds
- take on added responsibility when running buildings
- have jobs in office and apartment building management companies, condominiums, school boards, universities, hospitals, recreational facilities, shopping malls and other establishments
- must be comfortable with physically demanding work that includes bending, stooping, kneeling and crouching
- must have good communication skills and the ability to work under limited supervision
- need the ability to listen to and understand written and verbal instructions