Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters fabricate, assemble, fit and install steel or other metal components for buildings, bridges, tanks, towers, boilers, pressure vessels and other similar structures and products.
People in this occupation:
- are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants
- also may be employed by heavy machinery manufacturing companies and enterprises that build and repair ships
- are typically on their feet throughout the day and sometimes need to lift or position heavy loads, so the work is physically demanding
- should be comfortable working at heights
- must pay close attention to detail and exercise absolute precision in order to create safe structures