Cabinetmakers use a variety of woods and laminates to construct and repair wooden cabinets, furniture, fixtures and related products.
People in this occupation:
- work for furniture manufacturing or repair companies, construction companies and cabinetmaking contractors
- may be self-employed
- must have good attention to detail, as well as have a good eye for color and proportion
- must have good manual dexterity to work with the tools necessary to build cabinets
- must be able to read drawings or blueprints required to build a finished product
- must be able to do materials calculations to work out dimensions, material costs, make estimates and use materials effectively