Appliance servicers and repairers maintain, service and repair home and commercial appliances and help prevent unwanted breakdowns. Some employees work specifically on small appliances, such as microwaves, vacuum cleaners and power tools. Others specialize in major appliances, such as refrigerators, dishwashers, washers and dryers.
People in this occupation:
- work for repair shops, appliance service companies and repair departments of retail and wholesale establishments
- may be self-employed
- should have good diagnostic and problem-solving skills, and enjoy working with electronic and mechanical equipment
- should be familiar with computers
- have the ability to work independently
- should be able to communicate clearly with clients