Learn why you should come to work in B.C.
British Columbia (B.C.) is one of the most appealing places to settle within Canada, which is among the leading democracies of the world. In addition to its abundance of natural beauty, there are many reasons that make B.C. a very desirable destination to work, study, and live.
- High Standard of Living: The United Nations Human Development Index consistently ranks Canada as one of the world's best countries to live in. For more information on the cost of living in B.C., please visit the WorkBC Cost of Living Calculator.
- Excellent Health Care: B.C. has an affordable and reliable health care system. Once enrolled in B.C.’s Medical Services Plan (MSP), your monthly premiums will provide you and your family with basic medical care and most hospital visits.
- Wages and benefits: People in B.C. earn competitive wages and enjoy a high standard of living. Many employers in B.C. offer their workers extended benefit plans, including full medical and dental coverage options. Your income will depend on your education, experience and occupation.
- Diverse Culture: People from many cultures call B.C. their home, creating a diverse and vibrant society that welcomes students, visitors and new British Columbians from other parts of Canada and all over the world.
- Indigenous People: B.C. is home to approximately 200,000 Indigenous people who have been living within the unique geography of the province for more than 10,000 years.
- Range of Workplaces and Industries: B.C. is home to a large range of different opportunities and industries including agriculture, construction, forestry, health and manufacturing.
- Safety in B.C.: Low crime rates and government-enforced regulations over industry and workforce conditions make B.C. one of the safest places to work and live. For more information on the system of governance in B.C., please visit Understanding Our Government