Exploring the Possibilities



Exploring careers further – either ones identified through the self-assessment quizzes or any others that are of interest – will help your youth narrow down choices and identify careers that fit them best.

Watch Career Trek videos

Ever wonder what a day in the life looks like for a specific career? Career Trek offers over 160 short and engaging videos that highlight careers in B.C.

Activity

With your youth or on their own, watch Career Trek videos and complete a Career Trek worksheet (PDF). Your youth can share, print, or save a completed worksheet.

Search career profiles

Explore 500 career profiles and learn everything from job duties and wages to projected demand where you live.

Activity

Invite your youth to check out the career profiles of interest and complete a career profiles worksheet (PDF). Your youth can share, print, or save their completed worksheet.

Learn about high opportunity occupations

A list of high opportunity occupations has been developed to help your youth make informed career choices and understand which occupations are expected to experience higher demand and offer higher pay compared to others.

High Opportunity Occupations are identified by answering the four key questions:
  1. How much is the wage?
  2. How easy is it to get a job now?
  3. How easy will it be to get a job in the future?
  4. How many opportunities ill be available?
Use high opportunity occupations to help guide your career choices, while considering which region you’d like like to work in. 

Activity

Check out the High Opportunity Occupation Tool. Be sure to use the filters to find careers of interest. Make a note of the careers you want to learn more about.

Find out about trades

Over the next decade, there will be about 85,000 job openings in trades occupations. Nearly half of these jobs will be in the construction sector.

In B.C., there are more than 100 trades training and apprentice programs that offer career opportunities. Trades occupations are found in a variety of industry sectors, including manufacturing, tourism and hospitality, construction, aerospace, automotive and maritime.

The top 15 trades in terms of projected job openings over the next 10 years are:
  • Cooks.                   
  • Auto service technicians.
  • Construction trades helpers and labourers.
  • Hairstylists and barbers.
  • Carpenters.
  • Construction electricians.
  • Heavy equipment operators (except crane).
  • Painters and decorators (except interior decorators).
  • Welders and related machine operators.
  • Plumbers.
  • Bakers.
  • Construction millwrights.
  • Heavy-duty equipment mechanics.
  • Aircraft mechanics.
  • Plasterers, drywall.
For more information about trades occupations and training visit: Did you know your youth may be able to start their training before even leaving high school? Check out the Youth Work in Trades and Youth Train in Trades programs.

Activity

Watch this Career Trek video: Lisa, an Ironworker

Check out more videos and other success stories.
 
For additional information, visit the Industry Training Authority (ITA) website and contact an ITA apprenticeship advisor for information and assistance.

Discover industries

British Columbia’s diverse industries provide rich and varied job opportunities. Investigate B.C.’s 18 major industries. Access these industry profiles to see employment trends, earning potential and more.

The following five industries will account for about half of the total job openings projected over the next 10 years:
  1. Health Care and Social Assistance: 142,900 job openings; 14.2% of total job openings.
    • Health Care and Social Assistance will see the largest increase in job openings in the next 10 years – 60% of these will come from the need to replace retiring workers, while the remaining 40% will be a result of expansion of the health system in response to the growing medical needs of an aging population and the expansion of the caring economy.
  2. Professional, Scientific and Technical Services: 140,700 job openings; 14% of total job openings.
    • Professional, Scientific and Technical Services has been a fast-growing industry and this trend will continue into the next decade. It’s expected that economic growth will generate 53% of the job openings in this industry.
  3. Retail Trade: 103,700 job openings; 10.3% of total job openings.
    • Retail Trade is expected to see below-average employment growth of 1.3% over 2021-2031, but because it’s a large industry employing 300,500 workers, the number of job openings over the next decade will still be large, relative to other smaller industries.
  4. Construction: 75,900 job openings; 7.6% of total job openings.
    • The construction industry is projected to have the replacement demand at 77%, while the remaining 23% will be a result of expansion.
  5. Accommodation and Food Services: 65,000 job openings; 6.5% of total job openings.
    • Accommodation and Food Services industry employs 184,200 workers and is expected to see strong annual employment growth of 1.6% over the forecast period.

Activity

Activity: For more information about job openings by major industry group, visit workbc.ca/industry.

Check out occupational categories

The National Occupational Classification system groups the entire workforce into 10 major occupational categories. Knowing which category your occupations fall under can help you meet the requirements of a job.

Close to three quarters (74%) of the projected job openings over the next decade are expected to be in the top five occupational groups.
  1. Sales and Service: 214,200 job openings; 21.3% of total job openings.  
  2. Business, Finance and Administration: 156,400 job openings; 15.6% of total job openings.  
  3. Management: 146,600 job openings; 14.6% of total job openings.  
  4. Trades, Transport and Equipment Operators and Related: 121,000 job openings; 12.1% of total job openings.  
  5. Education, Law and Social, Community and Government Services: 104,100 job openings; 10.4% of total job openings.  
Total job openings include two pieces: replacement job openings due to replacing retiring workers, and expansion job openings driven by economic growth. The replacement of retiring workers is a major source of future job openings. Replacement demand accounts for over half of the 10-year total job openings for eight of the 10 major occupational groups.

Activity

Check out the Career Search Tool. Select certain filters to pinpoint careers based on your interests, education, region, industry, and occupational category.