Computer engineers (excluding software engineers and designers) research, design, plan, develop, test and modify computer and telecommunications hardware and related equipment, such as computer processors.
People in this occupation:
- work on information and communication system networks, including mainframe systems, local and wide area networks, fibre-optic networks, wireless communication networks, intranets, the internet and other data communications systems
- are employed by computer and telecommunication hardware manufacturers, engineering, manufacturing and telecommunications firms, information technology consulting firms, governmental, educational and research institutions, information technology units and the health industry throughout both the public and private sectors
- have good communication and teamwork skills
- should be curious about how to make computers work better, and have an interest in logic design, microprocessor system design, computer architecture and interfacing, and system requirements and design
- require good problem solving, advanced math and innovation skills