Civil engineering technologists and technicians provide technical support and services to scientists, engineers and other professionals.
People in this occupation:
- may also work independently in fields such as structural engineering, municipal engineering, construction design and supervision, highways and transportation engineering, water resources engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental protection or technical sales
- are employed by consulting engineering and construction companies, public works, transportation and other government departments and in many other industries
- must have Diverse technical skills are required, including manual and computer-aided drafting, surveying and modeling; road and highway analysis and municipal infrastructure design; concrete, soil and asphalt testing; and technical report writing
The ability to manage projects in a team environment is also important.
Civil engineering technologists and technicians also:
- should have an interest in hands-on, methodical work, as well as in planning, decision making and coordination of projects
- benefit from having good visualization, communication, math and computer skills