B.C.’s Labour Market Outlook: 2021 Edition
Whether you are looking for your first job, coming back to the workforce after an absence or switching careers to achieve your professional goals, you’ll want to know what opportunities will be in our province. The British Columbia Labour Market Outlook can help.
The 2021 edition provides a 10-year forecast of the flow of supply and demand for labour in the province, covering the period 2021 to 2031. The report forecasts job openings across 61 industries, 500 occupations and seven regions providing British Columbians with the knowledge required to make informed decisions on careers, hiring, training and education.
View the full report (PDF) for details.
Did you know?
- B.C. is expected to have 1,004,000 job openings between 2021 and 2031.
- Nearly 80 per cent of these job openings will require some form of post-secondary education or training.
- Approximately 63 per cent of these future job openings will be to replace workers leaving the labour force, mainly through retirements.
- About 37 per cent of the 10-year total job openings will be new jobs created either through recovery from COVID-19 or new economic growth.
For key highlights from the report, view the two-page infographic (PDF).
New to the 2021 edition
Key changes for the 2021 edition include:
- A new Career Search Tool on WorkBC.ca that lets users search careers of interest using eight filter categories: Region, Education, Occupational interest, Industry, Occupational category, Part-time/Full-time, Salary, and Keyword(s).
- A new Career Transition Tool on WorkBC.ca that uses information about education, experience, skills and experience to identify occupations that users could move to relatively easily from their existing occupation.
- An online dashboard application giving access to interactive versions of the charts and tables in the report.
- A new apprenticeship certificate education category. The previous education category called diplomas and certificates has been split into two subcategories: apprenticeship certificates and other diplomas and certificates.
Resources and tools
Learn how to use the information in the Labour Market Outlook and discover the highlights of B.C.’s Labour Market Outlook: 2021 Edition. Watch two short videos to find out more:
You’ll find related information below:
Note: The forecast is typically updated every year to give British Columbians the most up-to-date information available. However, there was no update in 2020 due to the rapidly changing labour market resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic.